Friday, September 12, 2014

Weekend Recap: Northern Virginia

I apologize that I have been MIA this week; I have had a cold that appears to be getting worse and accordingly have just not really felt like blogging or doing anything really {other than dragging myself to work!}.  Anyway...I am back and am a little VERY late, but here is a condensed recap of this past weekend that I finally managed to put together this morning.
 
On Friday, I took a half day at work and Bella, Evan and I drove up to Warrenton, Virginia, where my parents live. We haven't been up there since Christmas and thought it would be a good time to celebrate {belatedly} my mom's birthday.
 
On Saturday, before my dad went to pick up Grandma {who lives in Alexandria, Virginia}, Evan, Timothy {my brother} and I made several stops with the sole mission to find all pumpkin beer that North Carolina does not carry. We were not disappointed! 
 
Our first stop was Dogfish Head Alehouse. They had their Punkin Ale on tap and as always it was wonderful. It is, hands down, one of my favorite pumpkin beers ever!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
We had lunch while we were there and I really thought the food would be sub par {given that the primary focus here is the beer} however, it was a noteworthy meal.
 

Evan had the burger {typical for him}.
 
I had the Crab Cake Grilled Cheese. I originally ordered the crab cake sandwich; however our server said that this was a much better choice, so I went with it. The server was not kidding...it may sound like a weird combo, but it was amazing! Ask for this if you make a trip to one of their locations.

Evan and I at Dogfish Alehouse.
 
After lunch at Dogfish Alehouse, we stopped at the largest Total Wine that I have ever been to. I was so overwhelmed by their selection of pumpkin beers; it is the largest selection I have ever seen. Unfortunately, because I was SO excited; I did not get any pictures of the beer, but we are talking about an entire aisle of pumpkin beer...I was in heaven. One of the beers that several friends, including my brother, have been raving about is Schlafly's Pumpkin Ale. Unfortunately, I discovered that the brewery does not distribute to North Carolina at all for some reason. Thus, I was on a mission while in Virginia to find some of this supposedly amazing beer. Thankfully, they had a huge display of it at Total Wine and I grabbed a six pack. When I tried it that evening for the first time, I hate to admit that in my opinion, it is not as good as I thought it would be.  I like it; however, based on what others had said, I thought it would be one of the best beers I have ever tasted.

Has anyone else tried this one? Thoughts?
 


 
The rest of the weekend was more low key:  visiting with my parents, grandma, brother and his wife and meeting my new neice, Eliza. It was short trip for us, but as always, we had a great time.
 
 
Linking up with:
Lauren Elizabeth for High Five Friday and
Lauren for Fab Friday.

 Hope everyone has a great weekend!!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS