Thursday, July 31, 2014

Thoughts on Thursday: Cleaning out my Closet {literally}!

Linking up with Annie from Home of the Malones and Natalie from East Coast Chic again for Thoughts on Thursday.

Have you ever kept clothing items that currently do not fit you because you think "oh this will fit later" when I: 1) lose that extra five pounds; 2) tone those legs; and/or 3) my butt magically shrinks?  Maybe it is just me, but ever since around age 18, I have been perpetually holding on to certain clothing items with the thought; I will fit into these smaller clothes one day. Well, when is that day going to come? Possibly never.

I am not saying that you shouldn't have fitness goals; I always have and will, however, I think at some point I need to accept the fact that it may be a tad unrealistic to fit back into that size 0 pair of Jcrew shorts.  I mean let's be honest, I am turning the BIG 3-0 this September {still in DENIAL}.  Evan and I plan to hopefully start a family in the near future. If I am being honest and realistic; do I really think given our future plans that I will get that small again? Maybe, but I really doubt it. I can't wear these clothing items now, what makes me think that after kids I will magically be able to fit into them then?

Like I said, don't get me wrong; I think it is wonderful to have fitness goals {and I have plenty of them}; however, I may just be setting myself up for failure if I expect to fit into clothing that I wore when Evan and I got married {think working out 6 days per week, personal trainer and my own personally tailored diet plan small}. I mean I looked GREAT, but who has that kind of time all the time? I digress... 

So, with all of this being said, I cleaned out my closet this past weekend, being honest and realistic with what I think I will actually be able to fit into in the future. I also got rid of all those "teeny bopper" shorts with the 1.5 inch inseams {long overdue in my opinion}. I asked myself two questions as I completed my closet purge: 1) would I feel comfortable wearing this around other mommies in the future and 2) does it fit {or nearly fits...i did keep a couple of things that almost fit currently}.

After cleaning out my closet, I realized there was a deeper significance in my actions than just merely making additional closet space. Getting rid of  those too small clothes was a form of acceptance of my current physique. I can diet and exercise all I want {and I do and will continue to}; however, there is only so much I can do. I am the way I am {to an extent} and I need to stop living for the time that I can fit into some of these clothes; because it may never happen.

Taking it a step further, holding onto those clothes is another example of me living too much in the future and not enough in the present.  I am so guilty of letting the present pass me by because I am always striving to improve myself, inwardly and outwardly in the future. Although I believe it is great to be constantly striving to better yourself; this thinking causes me to always be looking to the future and not enjoying the present. I think enjoying my current size and appearance is at least one step in the right direction. So, maybe with my closet purging, I have made a small step in the right direction {I hope} towards living in the present and not merely striving/hoping for the future.

 

Thoughts for Thursday

8 comments:

  1. I totally get that. I'm actually 12 weeks postpartum with my 3rd {and final} baby so of course I DO plan on getting back into what I was wearing before I got pregnant. But I have kept smaller jeans and shorts that I haven't worn since before my 2nd pregnancy...even though I lost the weight, my body was just different and didn't fit in them the same way it used to. I am a fitness-aholic...so I always have goals for improvement...lol. My husband is customizing our closet right now, so once I start putting all of it back in, I may go ahead and throw out some things :-)
    -Morgan
    California To Carolina
    The Gym Bunny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I have heard from most moms! I am just trying to be realistic about my body, so that I am not super frustrated after having my first. :)

      Delete
  2. I totally know what you mean!! I have held onto clothes for far too long and then finally this past weekend I completely reorganized and threw stuff out, donated and got a pile ready to sell on ebay!! It's the best feeling! Stopping by from the link up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just thinking the other day about wanting to lose 5 lbs but for what? I'm going to want to get pregnant next year and I'm really ok with how I look now. I honestly love getting rid of clothes in my closet I don't wear. Its like they bug me if I haven't worn then in months. I'm also trying to buy things now that I can wear for years to come, not just faddish things, so I won't have to get rid of stuff as often. Your dog is precious by the way! Life as I know it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ally and I hear ya! It is always a struggle to not buy that item that is "in" now, but won't be by next year. I need to get better about that too!

      Delete
  4. This post reminds me that I really need to clean out my closet :) This has been the first summer that I've felt uncomfortable in some of my clothes... not because I've changed sizes but because my view of what is appropriate is changing! Those short shorts and skimpy tank tops just don't work for this married lady anymore and I just need to get rid of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree! I have been married now almost 4 years and just now threw out some of those short shorts, so don't worry! It's definitely a process!

      Delete

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS